Carma over at Winging-it is encouraging fellow relaxed/unschoolers to blog about 7 Snippets from Unschooling. Our first thought was that we’d love to participate, but Boy has been sick…and WAIT! We don’t stop learning when someone is home sick. In fact, it’s actually been a nice change from a heavy schedule of Field Trips and Scout activities. Obviously, we’d prefer he not have come down with pneumonia ~ but the world does not grind to a halt. So, true to our blog, we’ve chosen 4 times that the iPad has helped during recovery (plus 4 “unplugged” activities) ~ yes, we’re aware that’s 8.
1. In the middle of the night, Mom took Boy to the Emergency Room. Mom grabbed her purse and, of course, our iPads. It allowed Boy to play games, Message Dad (including a picture he took of his hospital room), and watch a little Netflix in between procedures. It’s nice to be distracted. Whenever anyone did a procedure or mentioned something technical, Boy wanted to look it up on the net. When Boy became too tired to play, Mom read downloaded books to him from her Kindle app. (We enjoy the books on Ambleside Online & use NLHome’s site to find them all quickly)
2. For the worst days of the pneumonia, Boy spent a lot of time laying around doing very little. Girl tried to cheer him up & they played quite a bit of Minecraft on their iPads. (there’s a post in the works detailing Minecraft, but it’s a lot to cover, they keep releasing updates, and…well…Boy has been sick) The picture above shows them camped out on the sleeper sofa in the living room.
3. Boy finally convinced Girl to use Draw Something. Another game in our blog queue that helps with reading and hand-eye coordination ~ not to mention to artistic skills and imagination. Girl may be an emerging reader, but her drawing skills are impressive.
4. Chicktionary was another favorite this week. It allows Boy to work on his spelling while stretching his vocabulary. Plus, the chickens make a really fun noise when you select a letter.
Okay now for a little “unplugged” fun…
5. Girl helped Dad rotate the tires on the Green Schoolbus.
7. Sewing. Girl asked me to repair a few stuffed animal. Boy was interested in a few pointers in order to repair one of his favorite shirts. He selected his color, threaded his needle, and did an excellent job.
8. Okay, this is half unplugged, half iPad. Dominos. Not only did they create various domino courses, they filmed them using the iPad and e-mailed them to friends who weren’t allowed over during the quarantine.
Check out what other relaxed & unschoolers are doing…